child sitting on floor resting head on knees

If you are getting a divorce with children, there are a lot of considerations to make, primary among them, the payment of child support. Child support is put in place to help the primary custody holder, a now-single parent, help care for your child. However, you won't be required to pay child support forever.

Like in many states, California only requires child support to be paid until the child reaches the age of majority – the age of 18 – when they are legally recognized as an adult. However, there is a provision in place that requires payment to continue if the child is still in high school. So you may be required to pay past their birthday until they graduate or turn 19, whichever happens first.

If your child has certain disabilities, you may need to pay child support longer because, even at the age of 18, they may not be capable of taking care of themselves and will still widely rely on the primary custody holder as a caregiver. Furthermore, your ex-spouse may be able to return to court and ask for post-minority support. This will essentially ask you to make payments towards the child's college education.

If the child has gained acceptance to a school that is beyond the primary custody holder's means it is likely their request for post-minority support will be granted. However, post-minority won't be able to be used in order to essentially buy their way into a good school. Furthermore, if the child has not yet been accepted, it will be more difficult for the courts to grant this request.

If you are getting a divorce and about to go through the child support dance with your spouse, contact us today. Jamra & Jamra can help represent your interests to make sure that you don't get taken to the cleaners by your soon-to-be ex-spouse.